Hebrew: שי כרמי
Formal page at the faculty website
New faculty profile
- 2011-2015 Post-doctoral scientist, Department of Computer Science, Columbia University. Mentor: Itsik Pe’er.
- 2010-2011 Post-doctoral fellow, Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar-Ilan University, Israel. Mentor: Erez Levanon.
- 2005-2010 M.Sc. and Ph.D., Physics , Bar-Ilan University, Israel. Advisor: Shlomo Havlin.
- 2002-2005 B.Sc., Physics and Computer Science, Bar-Ilan University, Israel.
- Bar-Ilan University dean’s list (4x), rector’s list
- Wolf foundation (2x)
- Adams fellowship for outstanding doctoral students in the exact sciences in Israel
- Human Frontier Science Program Post-doctoral Fellowship
- Alon fellowship of the Israeli Council for Higher Education for outstanding young faculty (declined)
- TheMarker Magazine 40 most promising under 40 (link)
- Israel Science Foundation (ISF)
- United States – Israel Binational Science Foundation (BSF; joint with Noah Rosenberg)
- German Israeli Foundation for Scientific Research and Development (GIF)
- Abisch-Frenkel Foundation
- National Institutes of Health (sub-award with Alon Keinan)
- RNA and DNA editing in mammalian genomes (computational biology, with Erez Levanon).
- Functionals of anomalous diffusion trajectories (statistical mechanics, with Eli Barkai).
- RNA processing in the Sleeping Sickness agent, Trypanosoma brucei (computational biology, with Shulamit Michaeli).
- Kinetic theory of protein-RNA interactions (biophysics, with Yaron Shav-Tal).
- Analysis of large-scale networks such as the Internet and protein interaction networks (with Shlomo Havlin and others)
- Transport on random networks: percolation, diffusion, electrical conductance, flow, navigation, and disease spreading (with Shlomo Havlin, H. Eugene Stanley, Daniel ben-Avraham, and others).
Selected talks and posters
- Genetic privacy in the era of direct-to-consumer genetics (talk; 2018-2019)
- Inferring the past demography of founder populations using haplotype sharing (talk; 2018)
- Two-locus models of the coalescent with recombination (talk; 2016)
- The time and place of European gene flow into Ashkenazi Jews (talk; 2016)
- Sequencing an Ashkenazi Jewish reference cohort for medical genetics and implications for Ashkenazi history (talk; 2014-2015)
- Genomic segment sharing: theory and demographic inference (talk; 2014-2015)
- A renewal theory approach to IBD sharing (poster; 2014)
- Fractional Feynman-Kac equation for anomalous diusion functionals (talk; 2011)
- Large scale DNA editing of retrotransposons accelerates mammalian genome evolution (talk; 2010)
- Navigation with local information (talk; 2009)
- The energy landscape network of supercooled liquids (talk; 2009)